Friday, January 29, 2010

Potholders and Snippets



Since I'm still on this scrap kick, I zipped up these potholders with just some left over blocks and strips. The problem is they are too cute to use. (I'm still using my old ratty ones.) And since I really like the quilting stitch I used on these, I was anxious to do something larger that I could use this on. (I call it a funky zigzag. The other times I have seen this stitch it has always been done on a Bernina. Although I could very well be wrong.)





I put this Snippets quilt together last weekend and I thought it would be the perfect project for this funky zigzag quilting. While I think this kind of quilting is fine for this type of quilt, it is a little uniform form me. So, I will probably save the funky zigzag for my future potholders. (The next set I make won't be this cute so I won't want to not use them.) Happy quilting!

14 comments:

felicity said...

Very sweet potholders! I have a Bernina and I have used that wavy stitch on some projects but never for quilting. Until now - it looks so great I will def. be putting it to good use in some project or other!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

well you rocked those out didn't you? that quilt is way to darn cute. love the snippets!

Joanna said...

Shelly, these are gorgeous! I love the funky zig zag - I am doing to try it for sure:) Your pot holders would look great on my wall of quilts - you should start your own!!

Brook Vessell said...

I love how creative you are. How you can just throw some things together and it becomes this beautiful piece of art. I so wish I could be as creative as you when I sew, I'm kind of a stick in the mud who needs something that kind of resembles a pattern or instructions. By the way I could really use some new potholders... um.. loved the colors in the one on the upper right... I, ahem... I wouldn't be afraid to use them...LOL. Love you lots girl talk to you soon!

Andrea, the little collector said...

Yeah, good luck honey making non-cute ones. Suck it up and put those babies to use!

Béa said...

Wonderful, and I love this funky zig zag as quilting !

Unknown said...

These are absolutely YUMMY! I love the scrap kick you're on. You are ROCKIN it, girlfriend. :)

9patchnurse said...

I love those potholders! I know what you mean about not wanting to use them. Maybe you could just use them as hot pads on the table. The snippets quilt is really cool too. -

Anonymous said...

Thank you Shelly! I'll treasure it forever and be sure the kid does too :)

caroline said...

I'm sorry I missed seeing the quilt in person last night, Shelly! I'll have a look at it at Heather's sometime soon.

Victoria said...

all around wonderful!

Abby and Stephanie said...

LOVE the potholders. And Snippets is a perfect name. Love the squiggly quilting. It really highlights the quilt. I love doing that stitch.

Em said...

I love your wonky posts as I scroll down!!!! The stars are not an officeial "hoochy mama" on my site but definitely have the flair and Mary Loud is my hero! Thank you for dropping by my blog, Em

Marit said...

Love your Snippets quilt, so colorful and fun. The blue background is gorgeous for this quilt. Would love to try this myself ; )